Saturday, May 14, 2011

School's Out

I finished the semester last week. Finally. Now I am taking care of Adelaide more so that my wife can work and so that she can go back to pursuing her PhD.

It is a bit of a challenge. We are learning together, but since Amy has been doing most of the baby-chores, I am now having to pick them up and learn how to do everything on my own.

I have to say that two things are a major, major help. One of the biggest problems I have is that Adelaide doesn't want me to put her down. If I do put her down, she cries after a few minutes. Now, I am not ALWAYS holding her, but she is being held for a good deal of time. This makes it difficult to get her bottles ready, to prepare my own food, to look for work, to write my story... to do anything that requires either getting up and moving or using my hands. In other words, I've become an expert at watching TV. The first item, however, lets me carry her around while keeping my hands free!

The Ergo Carrier is like a backpack, worn on the front, with a baby in it. She's up against my body, so she gets my warmth and smell and all of that which she likes. It also keeps her up tight, so she feels safe and will often go to sleep or at least stop fussing when she is in it. I can bounce, which bounces her, which calms her. I also have two free hands to let me take care of Amy, her, and myself. The one disadvantage is that putting the Ergo on is difficult to do without a partner. It is not, however, impossible. The upper strap on the back has to be high enough that I can reach behind my head to clip it in, not behind my back. This will become easier as Adelaide grows.

The other problems we have been having is keeping her asleep at night. Now, she doesn't wake up all the time, but she gets hungry at about 9, when Amy goes to bed. So I feed her until about 9:30 or 10 or so. Then she starts to fall asleep, but will only stay asleep if I hold her. After about 30 minutes, I feel safe putting her down. That's when I get to work. In a little bit, she fusses because I need to change her, then I need to feed her again, and the cycle repeats until 1 or 2 in the morning, when she gets more tired. She will still wake up in the middle of the night for no apparent reason other than wanting to be held. At about 4 or 5, she'll wake up wanting to be changed and fed. By that time, it's too late to try to go back to bed, so Amy just stays up and starts her day.



For the past few days, I have been swaddling Adelaide every night. It takes a little practice, but I'm pretty good at it now. The Miracle Blanket works very well! I'll put her in it at around 10. I then hold her, which is much easier when she's a baby burrito, until she falls asleep. Then, I can put her down and she won't wake up. In fact, she doesn't wake up until the morning, when she starts getting hungry. And usually a pacifier or my finger will be enough to tide her over until we want to get up. Sometimes she does wake up while being swaddled, but she's a lot less fussy and doesn't complain about things. She just sits that and looks around. Feeding her a cinch, too, since her little hands don't get in the way.

So, if you have been having the same troubles I have, try these two ideas: a carrier of some sort and swaddling cloths. It doesn't have to be these two exact products, either. Amy likes using a Moby wrap and a ring sling. Most of these carrier provide several different options for carrying the baby as well, such as over the back or at the hip. I have also managed to swaddle Adelaide in a particularly large burp cloth (which, by the way, are lifesavers). The secret to swaddling is to first bind her arms, then bind her feet. Finally, wrap the remaining cloth around the baby so that the two bindings are locked into place. It keeps her from moving and makes her feel like she's in the womb again.

No comments:

Post a Comment