Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Soothing Adelaide

So two nights ago, Adelaide was starting to get hungry more often. The nurses and doctors said that her appetite would increase in jumps like that, but I wasn't expecting it so soon! Amy was still very sore from beast-feeding. She had just finished nursing when I noticed Adelaide was still hungry. She opens her mouth wide and sticks her tongue in an out, almost like trying to say "Come hither, nipple." Either that, or she'll try to latch onto my arm or chest. Since I knew Amy was empty AND too sore, on a whim I stuck my pinky finger in her mouth.

She started to suck on it! She's got a powerful little set of lungs there! I didn't expect her to get so much of the finger into her mouth. I thought about my fingernail scrapping the roof of her mouth, so I turned my finger upside down. This seems to work pretty well. By doing that, I was able to get Adelaide to sleep for 4 hours straight.

Is this a good thing to do or are there unforeseen detrimental effects?

No comments:

Post a Comment